12 January 2012

Him, we proclaim!



PASSION. a conference for college students. 
45,000 college students to be exact. 


that's 45,000 college students gathered for four days. 
45,000 college students from all around the country.
heck, all around the world.
all proclaiming and lifting high the name of Christ.
sacrificing money to end slavery.
giving up a portion of Christmas break to expand in the knowledge of Christ.


so I have one question:


WHY.


why aren't our campuses being transformed daily?
why aren't more people coming to Christ?
why are people still seeking fulfillment where there is none?

because no one has told them.
no one is telling them. 




these questions have been bothering me all through Passion and ever since I've gotten back to campus. today, I was slapped in the face with why this question was bothering me so much.


first day in english class, my teacher explains that this course is going to make us take a stand on certain issues and support why we stand where we do. 


my heart starts to beat a little fast.


she then proceeds to write down six questions on the board that we must answer. the last question? 


"state an argument that you can fully support"


my heart starts to beat even faster.


the first thing that came to mind was to argue that Jesus Christ is God's son. 
this is when my mind and heart began to fight it out. 


should I write down this argument? or should I take an easier route and make an argument against abortion, or something less controversial? 


then it hit me. 


if I am not willing to stand up in my class and tell my teachers and fellow students that I believe and know that Jesus Christ is God's son, then I have become one of the reasons why His name is not being proclaimed. 


my biggest frustration became my biggest nightmare. it became my daunting reality. 


the Lord revealed to me today that the reason why these questions of WHYs were bothering me so much is because I am the reason why. 


after class was over, I quickly walked back to my dorm to hash out this new reality I was just revealed to. 


thankfully, He is faithful. to provide. and to forgive. 


the first truth He guided me to was Romans 1. here are the words that jumped off the page to my heart:


for the sake of His name (vs 5)
Your faith is proclaimed in all the world (vs 8)
so I am EAGER to preach the Gospel (vs 15)
for I am not ashamed (vs 16) 


one word: PROCLAIM. 


I have gotten so comfortable with just showing people Christ, that I have forgotten an important and crucial part: to proclaim. 


St. Francis once said, "Preach the gospel at all times -- If necessaryuse words." 


every time I read this quote, my heart would exhale. as long as I am showing people the Gospel, words are not necessary.


yes, we are to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God (Colossians 1:12)


but there is a crucial and undeniable part to this. 
we must proclaim. 


for everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
how then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed?
and how are they to believe in Him of whom they have never heard?
and how are they to hear without someone preaching?
(Romans 10:13-14)


you will receive my power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Jude and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
(Acts 1:7-8)


devoting themselves to prayer 
(Acts 1:14)


the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved
(Acts 2:47)




PROCLAIM:
to announce or declare openly
to make known publicly
to extol (praise highly) publicly






now therefore GO, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak
(Exodus 4:12)


do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. for it is not you who speaks, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you
(Matthew 10:19)




PROCLAIM




pray for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the Gospel for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare boldly, as I ought to speak
(Ephesians 6:19)


to make the word os God fully known the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to His saints. to them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.


HIM, we proclaim!  
(Colossians 1:27-28)


You have multiplied, O Lord my God,
Your wondrous deeds and Your 
thoughts towards us;
none can compare with You! 
I will proclaim and tell of them,
yet they are more than can be told
(Psalm 40:5)





PROCLAIM!






may all fear be destroyed.
may concern about opinions of teachers, classmates, and anyone else pale in comparison to      proclaiming His name.
may we diligently pray that our eyes would be open to the numerous opportunities that are overlooked.
may we diligently pray that He would teach us His ways. teach us how to be His witnesses. 
may our confidence be found in Christ, 
yielding our words to His. 






nothing more. nothing less.










bless 

1 comment:

  1. Yes. Yes, oh may the dross be burned out of the silver of our words and may His name be poured forth like sweet water from our lips, giving life to those around us. May we speak only that which the Father is speaking and nothing more, nothing less.

    ReplyDelete