05 May 2011

once a shady, always a shady

Picture this-
A youth group who was lacking passion for worship.
A youth group who during worship saw it as an opportunity to text.
A youth group who came on Wednesday nights for a social event.


Now picture-
A worship leader who's passion for worship is contagious.
A worship leader who has a love for the Gospel and making Him known through song.
A worship leader who never gave up through all the texting and talking.


Add those together and what do you get?
A forever changed youth group who can now not get enough worship time and an even more passionate worship leader.


Looking back-
How could I have been so nonchalant about worshiping my King, my Savior, my Redeemer? I would show up every Wednesday night just to see my friends since I went to a different school then most of them. I arrived not expecting to or even wanting to meet my Creator. Oh how calloused my heart was!


Now-
Four years later, I can honestly say that our youth group has a completely different outlook on worship. Instead of showing up to "check off a box" or hang out with friends, I arrive with great expectations. I come knowing that if my heart is in the right place, I will have a glorious encounter with my Savior. I can look back on sweet times of worship, bible study and prayer during Crave that have pushed me further in my walk than I thought possible. It is a blessing to see how the Lord has used Bobby, Scott, Jenkins, and Kristin to challenge and push our youth group and have caused us to grown closer to Him and to each other more than I ever imagined (1 Corinthians 2:9).


A season of change-
Last night at Crave was one of those precious times of worship and prayer. This night was dedicated to endless worship (which we couldn't get enough of) and we also spent time praying for the tornado victims, for summer camp this summer, and for Jenkins. It is crazy to think that Jenks only has two more Wednesday nights with us. My heart is sad because there will be no more coming to the student building just to annoy Jenks, but again I am so excited for how the Lord will use him through Urban Purpose. Jenkins heart belongs to the Lord and it is evident through his love for the homeless. I can't wait to see how he is used to lead hearts to Him!


Yesterday we welcomed Kevin Johnson into our Shady family (called it!) and I am anxious to see how the Lord will use him to strengthen and challenge us even though we seniors only have a few months with him.


And if you thought this night couldn't get anymore emotional, you were wrong. The night ended with Bobby sharing with us about a job opportunity he has to lead worship at a church in Atlanta! As you can imagine, my first reaction was shock. speechless. heartbroken. why? you may ask. Shouldn't I be rejoicing with Bobby for this amazing opportunity he has? YES. absolutely. Sadly, this was not my first reaction. The first thought that came to mind was "what about this summer?" This is my last summer here as a student... who is going to lead worship as passionately as Bobby? "what about preteen camp?" As summer has been approaching, me and Marti would talk about preteen camp last year and how close we got to Bobby. We also got excited thinking about how this summer would be no different. I have come to the conclusion that nothing stays the same.


Although my flesh wants to be selfish and keep Bobby at Shades, my spirit rejoices in the fact that the Lord has called Bobby to lead a church in worship and if you know Bobby, you know how perfect this is for him. If this church is lacking in passion for worship, this church better get ready!


the future-
Jenkins will be working full-time for Urban Purpose.
Bobby and Kelley will be in Atlanta fulfilling the call of the Lord.
The seniors will be gone. Split in hundred different directions. Called to our own ministries and Jerusalems.


too much change my heart can barely take it. why must things change? why can't they just stay like this forever? Ecclesiastes explains why-


For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.  


It is a season of change. I can either avoid all the emotions and heartbreaks, or embrace them and grow stronger because of them. I am not good with change, but I pray that I will rely on the Lord's strength to accept it and to have a joyful heart during this time of change.


Bobby- thank you for teaching me how to truly worship and to expect the Lord to show up and meet me where I am. thank you for always providing encouragement and laughs when needed. thank you for never giving up on us although we were passionless. no one could ever replace you in our hearts. I will joyfully send you and Kelley off and hold tight to the memories and lessons these past years have brought. you are loved! once a shady, ALWAYS a shady.




pray-
Please partner with me in praying for Bobby and Kelley as they venture on to this new stage of life for them. Pray that the church will receive them with arms wide open and that their hearts would be prepare for amazing worship.


For Jenkins as he starts his new ministry and that the Lord will continue to bless Urban Purpose by adding to their numbers daily.


For Kevin as he learns the ropes of ministry. Pray for a smooth transition for students and parents and that he also will be accepted with arms open.


For the shady seniors. That we will not take these last few months for granted. That we will love much and not let Satan harm this last season we have together. That the Lord will prepare our hearts for having to leave our beloved Shades. That we will be sent out ready and prepared to face college, and that our hearts will be ready for anything.


Lastly, pray that the Lord will bring Shades a new youth worship leader. Pray that His will be done and that we all will be accepting and loving to whoever is called to this position.


So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not the the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal (2 Corinthians 4:16-18).



Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is... be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your hearts, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ (Ephesians 5:15-21).















Praise Him who was, and is and is to come.




bless

No comments:

Post a Comment