10 February 2011

the least of these

"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this- to visit widows and orphans in their affliction and to keep oneself unstained from the world."- James 1:27


This verse was the theme for this years Disciple Now. First off, this was by far the best d-now I have been a part of and I truly believe that the Lord used this weekend to grab my heart about certain things that I have been over looking in my life.

The weekend was filled with wonderful sessions lead by Andy Blank and Bobby (these 2 combos= divine) as we focused on our position as Christ followers in poverty. On Saturday, we spent our time ministering to the women and children at the Lovelady Center while the guys went downtown b'ham with Urban Purpose. It was a blessing to get to love on some amazing people and it's undeniable that when you pour yourself out as an offering, you receive much more in return. That afternoon, we were able to pack meals for children dying of starvation through an incredible ministry called Feed My Starving Children. This ministry gives people the opportunity to pack nutritious meals that will go all over the world to those in need. It truly was heart-softening to know that the food we were packaging were going to save lives, not just physically but spirtually. FMSC is a Christ-centered ministry that not only helps children's physical needs but spiritual needs as well. (not to mention, it's a grand ole time packing these meals! chicken veggie soy rice!)

Like I said before, the Lord used this weekend to soften my heart towards those in need. Here are a few things I learned and am still learning today...


- Poverty exists because SIN does
- Poverty is about people, people with their own family, life, and story
- As a follower of Christ, I am called to meet the needs of the poor
     "If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficint for his need, whatever it may be." Deuteronomy 15: 7-8
- God loves the poor, therefore I should love them too
- The body of Christ is God's plan in meeting the needs of the poor. THERE IS NO PLAN B.
- God has given me much so that I can give much
- God will one day end all suffering forever! People who are in poverty will die of physical needs if not met, but if they don't know Christ they will suffer spiritually. Therefore, this calling for us to share Christ with them is crucial so that they may suffer no more in heaven!
   "For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in Him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'how beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!'" Romans 10: 13-15


I am so thankful that my eyes have been opened and my heart softened. I have examined my life to find that the way I spend my time, energy, and money are not being used to help those in need and I know that the Lord is teaching me what this looks like on a day to day basic. This is not something that can be grasped over a one weekend period, but must be learned by seeking the Lord and asking him to daily refine my heart and turn my cares into His cares. I am humbled and thankful that the Lord has chosen me to be a part of His plan in reaching the needs of others. This life is NOT about me being comfortable or about me looking out for myself. It is about walking with the Lord every single minute of every single day and asking Him to make me more like Him.


Remember, we are blessed to BE a blessing!


"'Come, you who are blessed by my Fater, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prision and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to Me." Matthew 25: 34-40






























bless

No comments:

Post a Comment