02 June 2011

It is finished!

As most of you know, I have been blessed with two really awesome and godly brothers. What makes them so awesome, you may ask? They are awesome and so precious to me because they are the people in my life who tell me things that I might not always want to hear.


A recent example of this is when Daniel came in to town for graduation and we took a quick trip to Tuscaloosa to see Will and Maria. During our trip home, we began to talk about what the Lord was doing in our lives and what were things we could be praying for each other about. I began to explain to him about a certain friend situation that has been going on for a few months and after talking to him for a few minutes, he so lovingly pointed out to me something that I have been overlooking.


Bitterness.


I began to deny this and tried to explain how I have clearly gotten over this situation and was moving on. Like any fellow brother in Christ should do, he continued to show me my fault and did it because he loves me, not to bring me down or exalt himself. This is what I truly believe accountability is- a brother or sister in Christ lovingly showing me my sin,  giving me biblical advice on how to work through it, in order that I may restore my relationship with Christ.


When we are rebuked for sin, which tends to hurt our pride, but is biblically correct, what shall our response be? Will we become defensive, harden our hearts, list excuses? Or will we humbling accept what we are being told and have a heart of thanksgiving that someone would love us this much to get us back on the path to righteousness with the One who loves us most? I pray that we would rejoice in accountability and not run away with our pride, denying our faults.


Daniel began to share with me how bitterness has personally affected his life and how he overcame it, through the cross. During our conversation, the Lord reminded me of a passage of scripture that I have visited many times-


Then Peter came up and said to him, 'Lord how often will my brother sin against me and I forgive him? As many as seven times? Jesus said to him, 'I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.
Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii, and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying, 'Pay what you owe.' So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their master all that had taken place.
Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart." Matthew 18:21-35


How can I sit back and keep a record of how certain people have wronged me, when I have wronged my Savior too many times to count. How can I expect to receive mercy, when I won't even extend mercy. I must forgive with the heart that has already been forgiven.


One part of that passage that really gets me is the part that says "in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."
How will I ever repay the one who paid for all my sins? An unforgiving heart will lead to separation from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Let us not let our own pride get in the way of becoming right with one another, and becoming right with our Redeemer.


I still have a lot of learning to do when it comes with forgiveness, conversations that need to take place, bitterness that needs to be fully & completely surrendered. May I be encouraged that the Lord has placed people in my life to show me my sins when I am too blind to see them myself.


So, today begins my journey for removing bitterness in my heart and pleading that the Lord gives me a forgiving heart, through Him.


Do you have deeply rooted bitterness in your heart that you are letting grow? Are you an unforgiving servant? Join me and proclaim that today is where it ends. Bitterness is a heavy burden to carry. Give it to the one who can carry it ALL.




Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you... Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. (Ephesians 4:31-32)


Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)




Once and for all
You offered up Your life
For one and all
The perfect sacrifice
Atoning blood was shed
Love conquered when You said...

It is finished
It is done
To the world salvation comes
Hallelujah, we're alive!
Hell was silenced when You cried:
It is finished

Who is this king
So mighty and so strong
He is the one
The earth has waited for

God's remedy for sin
With mercy for all men
Well the earth shook and trembled
The sun bowed it's head
The veil of the temple was open for men
As Jesus went down in the cold of the grave
Defeated the darkness when He overcame
The keys of the Kingdom were placed into hands
Of children and priests and of fishers of men
Through all generations His voice will be heard
Creation resounds the victorious words!


It is finished!








 bless

No comments:

Post a Comment